The CIDB Strategic Plan 2021-2025 (CSP) has set a target for CIDB to become a leading and respected industry driver
To achieve this target, CIDB need to be engaged in personal and organizational transformation through management and staff the application of CIDB's Core Values; which is one of the key components of the CSP.
A total of five CIDB core values have been introduced - namely Openness (Bersikap Terbuka), Respect (Menghormati), Lead with Conscience (Memimpin dengan Hati Nurani), Impact Focussed (Berfokuskan Impak) and Innovation Driven (Berpacukan Inovasi).
These core values were carefully selected because they are the key values needed in building a strong and solid organization identity, and to ensure that the objectives of the CSP are achieved.
The CSP implementation will involve all CIDB officers at all levels. Therefore, all CIDB staff need to learn and practice these five core values. A comprehensive adoption of these values at every level is needed to form a more positive work culture, increase work commitment and further enhance CIDB's performance and image.
Applying these core values, will further strengthen the integration within CIDB, and also strengthen the relationship between CIDB and all stakeholders throughout the construction industry
Power of 5, is a brand for CIDB’s core values. It illustrates the multiplier impact on CIDB's performance and image with the application of these core values by all employees.
Explore Different Perspective
I consider all perspectives to make the best decisions
Listen And Understand
I genuinely listen to others and evaluate their suggestions thoroughly
I seek and value input and feedback
Seek And Provide Clarity
I am brave to share my views and ideas for the good of the organisation
- Appreciate different inputs and feedback
- Often share views and ideas for the good of the organisation
- Listens clearly to the views of others and evaluates them thoroughly
- Explore all opinions and perspectives to make the best decisions
- Provide the opportunity and encourage all present in meetings to provide views and solutions on the issues discussed
- Friendly and approachable
- Dare to explore new ideas and think outside the box
- Appreciate constructive criticism
- Able to accept reprimands
- Difficult to accept change.
- Feel that he or she is always right and know all things
- Refuses to listen to input and feedback from others
- Often makes their own decisions and does not seek the views and input of others
- Gives instructions without giving others a chance to speak
- Refuses to share views and ideas for the good of the organisation
I have compassion towards others who are of different gender, race, religion and background
I value people’s time and effort
I am just in making decisions
I acknowledge and recognise my team members efforts and accomplishments
- Appreciate the time and effort of others
- Make fair decisions
- Empathise with those of different genders, races, religions and backgrounds
- Recognise the efforts and achievements of team members
- Recognize the success of others
- Fulfill commitments and keep promises
- Say ‘thank you’
- Ready to admit mistakes and apologise
- Gives good cooperation with all levels of people
- Reprimand in a calm and respectable manner and in private
- Using a loud tone of voice and harsh language when reprimanding staff
- Reprimanding/scolding staff in front of others
- Joking or giving comments that are insensitive and may offend others especially those of the opposite sex, race or about physical appearances
- Making comments or behaving in a way that could be construed as sexual harassment
- Usually late
- Does not admit wrongdoings and does not apologise
- Not grateful nor appreciative
Lead With Conscience
Do The Right Thing
I do the right thing even when nobody is watching
Be Honest and Sincere
I remove any form of self-interest when making decisions
I abide by principles and moral values without compromise
I am honest and do not hide anything that may cause doubts
- Doing the right thing even without the knowledge of others.
- Adhere to the moral compass.
- Maintain the interests and reputation of the organisation.
- Discard all forms of personal interest when making decisions.
- Perform responsibilities and trusts with integrity.
- Take responsibility for the results of work and performance of self and the team.
- Make decisions transparently and fairly.
- Avoid conflicts of interest.
- If an instruction is received to do something that lacks integrity, the instruction is rejected in a diplomatic and wise manner.
- Take responsibility for behavior and decisions made.
- Accept responsibility for mistakes.
- Setting a good example for the staff.
- Fulfill commitments and promises.
- Behaves in a way that builds the trust of others
- Communicate honestly and openly.
- Demonstrates concern and empathy for employees.
- Focusing on the interest of self, family or cronies.
- Not transparent in making decisions.
- Using power, rank and position for personal gain.
- Following blindly the instructions of superiors even if the instructions are not appropriate and lack integrity
- Does not maintain the reputation or interests of the organisation.
- Sweeps problems and mistakes under the carpet.
Begin With The End In Mind
I think about and measure the result to be achieved and not activities
I focus on efforts which brings powerful results.
Solve Root Cause
I find the root cause and solve it and not just treat the symptoms
Customer’s needs are my no. 1 priority
- Focus on impact instead of activities and processes.
- Fulfilling customers’ needs is a priority.
- Strive to provide a comprehensive solution.
- Find the root cause of the problem and try to solve it, not just treating the symptoms.
- Often explaining to the team WHY a task needs to be performed.
- Set targets and measure impacts - NOT activities or processes.
- Modify or eliminate work processes that do not have an impact.
- Make decisions based on accurate information and data.
- Measuring the frequency of an activity instead of the impact.
- Not considering or analysing whether the process or activity performed has an impact.
- Still implementing the same process even if it is no longer relevant and has no impact.
- Do not know why a task or process needs to be performed.
- Giving instructions and orders, without explaining why a task needs to be completed.
- Make decisions based on emotions and sentiments without being guided by valid information and data.
Think Out Of The Box
I dare to think and suggest out of the box ideas to get the best outcome
Challenge Status Quo
I dare to change in order to get the best results
I provide solutions for customers
I find creative ways to solve problems and issues
- Dare to think outside the box.
- Challenge the status quo or current norms to get the best results.
- Find creative ways to solve problems and issues.
- Innovate in solving customer problems.
- Believe problems can be solved through innovation.
- More comfortable doing routine work.
- Difficult to accept change.
- Prefers to maintain existing processes.
- Believes that innovation will lead to more work.
- Takut atau malas keluar dari ‘zon selesa’.
- Feeling that it is easier to wait for others to make decisions or act on problems that arise.
How Do Core Values Benefit Each And Every CIDB Staff?
Core values of an organisation which are successfully instilled can inspire current employees and attract new talents.
When employees live the values that are most important to the organisation, their overall and individual performances will improve, as a result.
Employees who understand and believe in the core values can:
- 1. Have a clearer understanding of their own role in the organisation.
- 2. Know the organisation’s aspiration and how they can contribute towards its achievement.
- 3. Know the values and attitudes they need to adopt to perform at their best.
- 4. Use your core values to guide their actions in new or difficult situations.
Effective core values can increase engagement by creating a workplace culture built on principles that employees believe in. Employees might therefore find more fulfilment in their work Happy practicing CIDB's core values!